Sunday, November 30, 2008

A Scorching Sunday in Seattle

It is insufferably hot! Outside it is 50-something and raining. Inside it is 80º. Old people have bad circulation so they are always cold. One resident, Ray, wears a down parka all the time. Even in summer , when it was 80º outside he wears a parka. But I sit here and sweat and no matter if I complain, this is just the way it is.

It's 5:30 p.m. and all I have accomplished today was going to QFC for more egg nog and a copy of Get Smart, which I just finished watching. It seemed pretty funny. Just like when I watched Tropic Thunder last night, I think I missed a lot of jokes. My roommates TV is barely a foot away from my TV and he has been watching Animal Planet all day. i don't want to get into a volume war with him. He has been the first roommate I've had since I returned from heart surgery who doesn't annoy the hell out of me. The first one was a racist rancher from Oregon who hoped Barack Obama would not live to take the oath of office. The second one had such odor problems that I practically cried whenever I had to be stuck in a room with him. But my new roommate is pretty O.K. He is recovering from a stroke, and he is being treated for cancer. As soon as he can walk again he will leave, and I will have to get used to someone new. I don't know when I will get out of here. I am pretty independent, but I probably can't be alone 100% of the time. Starting tomorrow I can start working on getting myself in and out of the chair again. My immediate goal is to be able to use a walker to get from the doorway to the toilet then back again and into my chair. In reality this can take weeks. I was working on it before my heart problems without much progress.

Once I am able to leave, then I will have to find a place to stay. I wish I could have afforded to keep my apartment while I am in here, but at $1,000 a month plus utilities, for an indeterminant period of time, I just couldn't do it. I had hoped the nursing home could help me find a place, but I am in an unfortunate position. I make too much money in disability to be eligible for low-income housing, I am too young for senior husing, and I am in too much debt for handicap housing. i also don't want to move into a situation in which, like the nursing home, I am forced to hand over 99.9% of my income for room and board and be fed terrible food and have little or nothing to look forward to.

Dinner will soon be served. I think the menu said Roast Pork Loin and rice. It sounds better than it probably is. I had one of my Prime Rib dinners last night, or, at least I had part of it. I had no appetite and it tasted bland in my mouth. I have had these deli meals before and they aren't bland. It's the medication that robs me of my taste buds. Unless what I am eating or drinking is really sweet or really salty I don't enjoy it. Today I have had a Cinnamon & Vanilla Mocha and a Croissant. After I post this I will have some eggnog and Comfort and pick at my food. I should get some cookies or something.

This morning I tried taking my pain meds 90 minutes before my bandages were changed. It helped but there was still pain. I guess that's just the way it's going to be.

No comments: