Saturday, January 17, 2009

The end of brick and mortar

There is a term in the shopping business for an actual store that you walk in to buy stuff rather than order online. These stores are called "brick and mortar." Every day or week someone in the Economy or Business section will write about how the B&Ms cannot compete with online stores in price and in titles. I am specifically talking about CDs, Videos, and books. I will always prefer buying clothes in person.

Today, since it was a sunny day, I took the bus down to Northgate and rolled over to Silver Platters. All I wanted to get was the second season of 30 Rock and the fourth season of The Office. I could have ordered them online and got them by next Friday for about $53. They were out of The Office but had 30 Rock for $39.99! Had The Office in stock it would have been $59.99. Almost everything in the store was "Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price" which is always high and stores traditionally low ball by a few bucks so people think they are getting a good deal.

I was able to get a few good deals in the used section including season two of 30 Rock for $17.

Unless I am looking for something unspecific uses, or unless the storee is going out of business, I don't think I will bother going to a brick and mortar store again.

No comments: