Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Dark Night vs. Iron Man


As a a life long DC fan (I have NEVER) bought or read a Marvel comic. Batman has always been the man I wanted to be. Over the past couple days I have seen both films and have to give it up for Iron Man. Since I never read the comic I don't know or care if the canon has been altered. Robert Downey Jr. is not only great, but has already had the class to agree to appear in seeveral sequels and tie ins inclucing a co-starring role in an Avengers film (Marvel's answer to DC's all-star Justice League of America). Tony Stark (Downey) is also a lot more fun to watch than Bruce Wayne. Perhaps it's just Christian Bale's sullen performance as the Dark Knight and that all the film appears to take place at night. Downey's Stark is pretty upbeat, even under torture, and I'd say 80% of the film takes place in sunlight.

As far as supporting cast: dead or alive Heath Ledger kicks Jeff Bridges in the villian department. I'll take Gywnth Paltrow everyday over Maggie Gynethal, and Michael Caine has no opposite number in Iron Man, unless you count a robot (I don't).

I need to watch both of them again, but I think Iron Man will have more replayibilty.

No comments: