Sunday, March 22, 2009

Groceries I can't find in Seattle anymore

Besides the aformentioned Bagel Dogs, I was thinking of stuff I haven't seen at the grocery stores here in Seattle in years.

Albertson's Bakery French Bread Pizza
- Even if there was an Albertson's still in business around here, I don't know if their bakeries still make French Bread Pizza. They are easy enough to make from scratch. Cut a large loaf of French bread in half lengthwise. Add just a little bit of pizza sauce with a little bit of finely chopped onion and add some shredded mozzarella and mild cheddar cheese. Sprinkle with oregeno. Put on the middle rack in the oven and broil until the cheese just starts to melt.

Larry's Frozen Poor Boy Sandwiches - Really just a skinny baguette with half-dollar sized slices of cotto salami, bologna and American Cheese with mustard. These are pretty easy to make from scratch as well. I usually use Sesame Rolls or Sesame hamburger buns. I nuke the cold cuts for 30 seconds first to melt off some of the fat, then build the sandwich and put in the toaster oven until the cheese melts. Serve with mustard and BBQ potato chips.

Larry's Frozen BBQ Roast Beef Sandwiches on Poppy Seed Kaiser Rolls - I have not been able to accurtly duplicate this and neither does Arby's. The only restaraunt that came close, and actually bettered them, was the formerly defunct Farrell's. The first problem I have is that it is really hard to find poppyseed Kaiser Rolls. Not every grocery store carry them. Next, I haven't been able to duplicate the sauce. It was spicy but just a little sweet. I probably should be looking at a cheaper brand of sauce rather than one of the gourmet brands. Then, what I really need, is my own deli slicer because the meat needs to be cut thin, but I find Deli Roast Beef often has a gamey taste. I can make a pretty damned fine roast myself. I am the King of the Prime Rib Dip Sandwich (another reason I need an oven).

Texas' Best BBQ Sauce - I first bought this at the Hickory Farms in Lacey, WA in the early 80s and later found it at QFC when I moved to Seattle, but I haven't seen it on the shelf in 15 years. It wasn't too sweet and had a little bit of spice. It had more mustard, I believe, than tomato and no molasses as far as I can tell. UPDATE: It is available again. You can get it here.

Spaghetti Pot Pies - I haven't even seen one in almost 40 years and then only at the Exchange at Fort Lewis. I believe Swanson made them and they came in the old foil pans like their pot pies. It was spaghetti with meat sauce (no crust) but my Mom would bake it until crunchy. I suppose these would be easy enough to duplicate with left over spaghetti and a pie tin.

Cherry Popsicles/Banana Popsicles (packages of six) - Though they still exist, I never see them in boxes of six by themselves. They usually come with other flavors I don't like, ie. Orange or Lime.

Mexican Frozen Dinners - Sure, most frozen food lines have a few obligatory Mexican dishses, but I can't find a brand that specializes in Mexican (like several do with Italian). I just wanted a beef enchilada but couldn'y find any, not counting Banquet.

Budget Gourmet Linguine with Bay Shrimp and Clams Marinara - Another thing I can make from scratch, but at ten times the cost. I don't know why they stopped carrying this flavor. I bought it all the time. I emailed Michelina's (who owns the Budget Gourmet brand) and asked them to bring it back.

Ore-Ida Cottage Fries - They still make them but they must not be popular around here because I haven't seen an Olympia or Seattle supermarket carry them since the 1970s. Until I have access to an oven (or a deep fryer) it's moot anyway.

Orr Brothers Burger Sauce
- Sort of a spicier version of 1000 Island Dressing, but damned good on a burger. I saw it exactly once at QFC about five years ago and bought a couple bottles, which were thrown out by my friends when I went into the hospital. They also sold a "Fry Sauce" that looked identical except for the bits of pickle. Fry sauce seems to be a Utah thing so I suspect the company is from there. I can find nutritional facts on line but no place to buy it.

"Chessboard" Ice Cream - I am sure somewhere this is still available. All it was was vanilla and chocolate ice cream in a box and when you opened the side of the box its alternating flavors resembled part of a chess board.

No comments: