Sunday, December 21, 2008

I Feel Ooky All Over


Apparently it snowed last night. Four to five inches in Seattle, as predicted. But I haven't seen it yet. As of 1 p.m. I still haven't got out of bed. I am really sick. I didn't get much sleep last night because of a wicked cough and a sharp pain in my back. Actually the pain was near my left-side kidney, the one that wasn't replaced. I also felt very hot and sweaty. I started to panic. What if I have an infection? I called the nurse. It was Nicole. She checked my vitals. I had a temperature of 101.9°. She asked me if I wanted to go to the hospital. While I thought about it for a few minutes, Nicole went to call my doctor to see what he wanted to do and if he had got the results of my x-ray.

If I went to the hospital, and they kept me for more than a day, the nursing home would pack my stuff up until I returned and I would wind up in another room, on another wing (meaning different nurses and aides) and have yet another roommate. I also didn't want them packing my stuff up because I still have half a pint of Southern Comfort in one of my drawers. So I decided not to go to the hospital (it would have taken hours riding in the back of an ambulance anyway.

Nicole came back and gave me some pain killers, an antibiotic, Tylenol, cough syrup, and oxygen and it made me feel better. I rested for a couple of hours until 8:00, when Jonas brought me morning pills, including 10 mg of Dilaudid, then Abrahim came in an hour and a half later to change my bandages. That was around ten and it's almost a quarter to two now. My back is starting to go into spasm again and I feel a cough coming on. Jonas just came in with more medicine.

I think I'll still stay in bed. The snow will be there tomorrow. The Seahawks are playing the Jets in Seattle right now and I see that it's still snowing. Maybe, if I feel better, I'll get up. I'd like to watch it snow in high definition out in the lobby.

No comments: